Thursday, February 9, 2012

no wonder it's so hard

So I had a gig tonight.  Myfitnesspal says if you play guitar in a rock band for 3 hours, you burn almost 800 calories.  So for my "diet" I'm putting down 500.  We play for 4 hours for the next 3 nights so I might 600 for those, but even though I sweat and lose my breath sometimes, I don't feel like I burn 800 calories at a normal gig.  Maybe I do, I don't know.  But I know myself, and I know that if I put 800 calories in that thing, I'll eat like crazy so my number ends up being close to 0.  In other words, the more I exercise, the more I'll eat.  No good.  Yet another one of my problems.

I've never taken food to a gig, unless it's a bag of chips and a Mt. Dew or something like that to snack on. Tonight I made me 2 turkey sandwiches before I left and took them with me.  I think I ate them before we even started.  So on one of our breaks I went to gas station and got me some powdered donuts and a Mt. Dew.  Awesome.  I went to the gym today, did my interval thing, and had a gig, so I burned off over 1000 calories.  I put 500 for the gym and 500 for the gig, but I burned more than that at both (according to myfitnesspal–I've got to get a heart rate monitor).  So instead of my usual 2000 calorie limit, basically I could have taken in 3000 today.  Well, I took in 2500.  Which, I guess isn't too bad, but still. . .donuts and Mt. Dew.  And there lies the problem.

I've got to start running more.  I bought me a new pair of running shoes today with the idea of running (outside, away from the gym) more.  I mean, doing some long runs on occasion.  Long for me would be 6 miles.  The interval thing is fine and dandy, but I need to be putting in some miles here and there.  So maybe that's what I'll start this week.  The only problem I have with running outside is that I have a 3-year old with me all day every day.  I'd have to wait until Erika got home, which is usually around 5:30 and by then it's dark.  I've already been attacked by pit bulls in the middle of the day, I'm not sure if I'm about to try and conquer my neighborhood in the dark.  BLAH!!!  Excuses!!  I've gotta do something.

And the more I read about interval training and eating right and running and all that, the more I'm realizing I'm gonna have to hit the weights sooner or later.  There's always talk of cross training and strength training and all kinds of stuff.  CRAP!!  They say to "eat right & exercise", but there's a thousand things involved in doing those 2 little things.  To eat right you should have a balanced diet with this percent protein and this percent carbs, and this percent fat, but the fat needs to be a certain kind of fat, but don't eat too little fat because that's bad for you, and when you exercise, don't just run, or don't just lift weights. . .you have to do everything.  No wonder people are fat.  When you combine the way our society thinks and works (drinks getting bigger, huge fast food meals, Starbucks coming out with a new [bigger] size coffee, etc.) with the difficulty of what it takes to combat all that, it's almost freaking impossible to not be fat.

I haven't weighed myself since I started this blog.  I keep meaning to step on the scales at the gym but when I'm done with my 20 minute super workout (sarcasm), I just want to go to the nursery and pick up the kids, I keep forgetting to weigh myself.  And the stupid scales we bought for the house suck donkey balls.  The batteries (those $4 batteries) go dead about every 5 or 6 weeks.  So I'm getting some new scales for the house soon.  And when I do, I'll probably include my weight with every post.

No comments:

Post a Comment